Friday, November 6, 2009

Gut feeling

I've thought about posting about this many, many times. But I've hestitated because I can't exactly articulate everything I'm feeling. But the gist of it is that I knew I was going to be emotionally and morally challenged by moving back home.

I left this area 12 years ago and moved to a very liberal area. It felt right to me; like I was surrounded by like-minded people. I don't feel like I'm surrounded by like-minded people now and it's killing me! The most recent election in our area has confirmed what I have been feeling in my gut. The conservative, Republican turn that our city just took greatly disappoints me. It confirmed that I have moved back to an area that is still riddled with classism, racism and homophobia. Shit, shit, shit (not the word I really want to use right now)!

What does that mean? How do I ensure that I raise my girls to love all people as human beings regardless of the number of green pieces of paper that they have in the bank, who they love or who they worship or don't worship? How do I raise worldly children in a conservative, oppressive town?

Give me some time. I'll figure this out. I'll find those like-minded people because I know they're here somewhere. If I post about taking off with my children to a mission in Africa in a couple years, don't be too surprised. A liberal girl's got to do what a liberal girl's got to do.

No comments: